Later this year, Australians will have their say in a Referendum to enshrine an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice to Parliament in the Constitution. The Referendum will most probably be held in mid‑October.
The question we will be asked is “Do you support an alteration to the Constitution to establish an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice?” Its purpose is to ensure that Indigenous people are consulted on Government policies and programs that affect them – such as on health, housing, education and training. The aim is to develop better policies and programs which close the gap between Indigenous people and the rest of Australia – and to achieve more efficient and effective expenditure of Government funds in this process.
You will know by now that campaigning for a YES vote on the Voice Referendum has begun. Our challenge is to achieve a majority YES vote in Eurobodalla. To do this we want to ensure that everyone has good information about the Voice (and what it is not!). We would like your help. Here are some things you can do.
Join your local Yes campaign group
We would welcome you joining our local Eurobodalla for Yes campaign group – you can, of course, join your local group if you live elsewhere. Volunteers receive regular updates about upcoming activities and events. As a volunteer or a supporter, you can:
· Help out at YES information stalls in your local area
· Attend YES information nights
· Take a shift at your local polling booth on Referendum Day
· Hand out flyers during prepoll and on polling day
· Join YES alfresco coffee events wearing Yes T-shirts
Spread the message
· Put a Vote YES sign outside your home or business
· Pass on to family and friends positive Yes campaign news and messages
· Encourage others to become a Yes volunteer
· Arrange an information session for your organisation/group/club
The Eurobodalla for YES group link is:
If you would like to join us and bring home a Yes vote we would love to hear from you.
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up and we’ll contact you!