“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
As a small volunteer organisation, we embrace the principles of self-organisation. We encourage anyone and everyone to step up and take responsibility for our community. We see it as bottom-up, rather than top-down decision making. This collective action at the local level is at the heart of vibrant, well-functioning communities.
A process that has a strong focus on community-centred engagement has been proven to provide significant benefits for all stakeholders.
SHASA believes that the Eurobodalla Shire and the wider region can benefit from a deliberate and targeted community engagement approach. These include:
- A community that is involved in making decisions for its own future
- A better connected better-represented community
- Capacity for the community to better understand and solve its own problems and challenges
- A community that can make better decisions on resourcing issues, especially where limited funds are available
- Promotion and support for community leadership
SHASA has partnered with A Better Eurobodalla to assist in providing a community forum advocating for Eurobodalla ratepayers and residents.
What have we achieved?
- Regular SHASA stalls have been run at markets in Moruya, Narooma, Dalmeny, Broulee (Art on the Path) and Tuross Head (Easter) – prior to COVID19 restrictions.
- Prepared submissions to:
◦ Eurobodalla Shire Council draft budgets
◦ Eurobodalla Shire Council Rural Lands Strategy (Local Environment Plan)
- Partnered with 350 Eurobodalla, Nature Coast Marine and Coastwatchers to raise awareness of climate policies of candidates for the 2019 Federal Election.
- Joined forces with a number of environment groups under the Nature Conservation Council umbrella to raise awareness of climate, renewable energy and bushfire recovery policies of candidates for the 2020 Eden Monaro By-Election.
- Ran stalls at the Rotary Renewables Expo in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Ran a raffle at these stalls to raise funds for community facility solar.
- Partnered with Dallas Tanner for a fundraising concert in Moruya.
- Donated funds to 350 Eurobodalla for the Federal Election and the 2020 Eden-Monaro By-Election to cover printing costs.
- Moo’s News
What are we currently working on?
Lobbying Eurobodalla Shire Council for an EV charging point in Moruya